Temporary practice ('fly-in, fly-out' practice)

There is an express rule allowing temporary practice by foreign lawyers. 

The relevant legislation is the Legal Profession Act 2004 (VIC).

A foreign lawyer may practise foreign law in Victoria for 1 or more periods that do not in aggregate exceed 90 days in any 12-month period; or must otherwise comply with a restriction imposed under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) that has the effect of limiting the period during which work may be done.

Limited licensing of foreign lawyers (foreign legal consultant rules)

A foreign lawyer can obtain a limited licence entitling them to offer advisory services in foreign and international law (ie become a foreign legal consultant).

The relevant legislation is the Legal Profession Act 2004 – Part 2.8 and the Legal Profession Regulation 2005 – Part 2.4.

The requirements that must be met to qualify for a limited licence are set out in sections Part 2.8 of the Legal Profession Act. A limited licence, pursuant to the Legal Profession Act allows an Australian registered foreign lawyer to provide limited services in Victoria, namely, doing work related to the law of the foreign country in which the person is registered, making appearances in arbitration proceedings or in front of bodies other than a court. Full details are included in the database.

An Australian registered foreign lawyer may provide only the following legal services in Victoria under section 2.8.6 of the Legal Profession Act:

  1. doing work or transacting business, concerning the law of a foreign country where the lawyer is registered by the foreign licensing body for the country;
  2. legal services (including appearances) in relation to arbitration proceedings of a kind prescribed by regulation;
  3. legal services (including appearances) in relation to proceedings before a body (other than a court) in which the body is not required to apply the rules of evidence and in which knowledge of the foreign law of a country mentioned in paragraph (a) is essential; and
  4. legal services for conciliation, mediation and other forms of consensual dispute resolution of a kind prescribed by regulation.

Full licensing

A foreign lawyer can obtain a full licence to practise law in this jurisdiction.

The relevant legislation is the Legal Profession Act 2004 (VIC) – Part 2.8 and the Legal Profession Regulation 2005 (VIC) – Part 2.4. The Uniform Principles for Assessing Qualifications of Overseas Applicants for Admission to the Australia Legal Profession governs the assessment of qualifications.

In order to obtain a full licence to practise law in this jurisdiction, foreign lawyers must be eligible for admission, and fit and proper to be admitted to the legal profession. Foreign lawyers must first become admitted to the legal profession in Australia, either in Victoria or another State/Territory. The admission rules provide the requirements for eligibility. The board of examiners deals with all applications for admission to practice and provides recommends to the Supreme Court of Victoria in relation to same. They must then apply for a practising certificate. Under the Uniform Principles best casinos in australia, applicants must demonstrate an academic and practical standard substantially equivalent to Australian requirements. An applicant for a full licence must apply for assessment of qualifications and may be required to undertake additional academic and practical training to obtain admission.

Commercial association between lawyers and law firms

In this jurisdiction:

Other regulatory issues

In this jurisdiction:


Category Name Website or other contact details
Organisation(s) that controls licensing of lawyers Legal Services Board
Peak professional association representing the legal profession Law Institute of Victoria
Other associations playing a significant role in developing policy for the legal profession Law Council of Australia