APEC economy: Chile; Jurisdiction: Chile

Temporary practice ('fly-in, fly-out' practice)

There is no express rule allowing temporary practice by foreign lawyers.

Limited licensing of foreign lawyers (foreign legal consultant rules)

A foreign lawyer cannot obtain a limited licence entitling them to offer advisory services in foreign and international law (ie become a foreign legal consultant).

Full licensing

A foreign lawyer can obtain a full licence to practise law in this jurisdiction.

The relevant legislation is the Tribunal's Organic Code Title XV, Decree 110 of the Ministry of Justice Official Gazette March 20, 1979. This is available online at www.vcn.cl/ (in Spanish).

In order to obtain a full licence to practise law in this jurisdiction, foreign lawyers must be a permanent resident and must complete the totality of their legal studies in a university in Chile. These requirements are the same as the rules applicable to a local applicant.

Commercial association between lawyers and law firms

In this jurisdiction:

Other regulatory issues

In this jurisdiction:


Category Name Website or other contact details
Organisation(s) that controls licensing of lawyers Corte Suprema de Justicia (Supreme Court of Justice) www.poderjudicial.cl
Peak professional association representing the legal profession Colegio de Abogados de Chile (Chilean Bar Association) www.colegioabogados.cl
Other associations playing a significant role in developing policy for the legal profession Ministerio de Justicia (Ministry of Justice)