APEC economy: Republic of Korea; Jurisdiction: Republic of Korea

Temporary practice ('fly-in, fly-out' practice)

There is no express rule allowing temporary practice by foreign lawyers.

Limited licensing of foreign lawyers (foreign legal consultant rules)

A foreign lawyer can obtain a licence entitling them to offer advisory services on foreign and international law in Korea. However, an applicant must get a qualification approval from the Ministry of Justice and be registered with the Korean Bar Association in accordance with Foreign Legal consultant Act.

Full licensing

A foreign lawyer cannot obtain a full licence to practise law in this jurisdiction. The relevant impediment is that only a local lawyer is allowed to be granted a full licence to practise law in that jurisdiction.

Commercial association between lawyers and law firms

In this jurisdiction:

Other regulatory issues

In this jurisdiction:


Category Name Website or other contact details
Organisation(s) that controls licensing of lawyers Ministry of Justice www.moj.go.kr
Peak professional association representing the legal profession Korean Bar Association www.koreanbar.or.kr
Other associations playing a significant role in developing policy for the legal profession Judicial Research and Training Institute jrti.scourt.go.kr